Dive into the world of HTML, CSS and more to code up interactive web-based projects, starting with your own portfolio site and wiki page.
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- Class taught in English & conducted online via Zoom
- No experience necessary
- Learn to create your own websites with HTML & CSS
- Code like a real programmer with text-based languages
We have landed!
Start off by learning about the Internet, from how clients and servers play a part to how information is able to travel through it. Create your own landing page using HTML and CSS while learning through the ropes in web development in this beginner-friendly course!
Structuring Pages with HTML
Kids will then learn about the role of HTML, basic HTML tags as well as begin using them to create their landing page.
Styling Pages with CSS
Kids are introduced to CSS and why we use it separately even though styling can be done in the HTML script and still achieve similar effects. After learning about CSS syntax and how to use selectors, kids are taught three different ways colors can be defined and are allowed to experiment with colors to add to their landing page.
Difficulty: 1 out of 5
Your child will require:
- A computer or laptop with a working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in class and for our instructor to check their understanding. Kindly avoid sharing devices.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Google Chrome as their default web browser during classes. You may download it here.
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
- (For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of the first class to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
- An overview of programming and web based technologies – what they are, why they’re so powerful, and how to leverage their potential
- Essay writing skills and reflection: Understand the significant inventions and breakthroughs that shape the world we live in today and how they affect you
- The Zwicky Box, a method for ideation and brainstorming
- How to code a website and personal Wiki page using coding languages like HTML and CSS, and platforms like Github
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.